In order to qualify for an income tax deduction your books must be donated to college or university or registered non-profit organization. You will need to obtain a receipt from the organization and someone from that organization will have to sign on IRS form 8283 Part IV. 

Unless the donee organization is willing to pay for the cost of shipping, it's best to make the donation locally, as books are heavy and expensive to ship.

Organizations which might accept donations include:

>College and university libraries.

>Medical and law libraries

>Municipal public libraries.

>Research libraries & institutions.

> Museums and archives.

>Non profit foundations with libraries.

>Non profit organizations which operate thrift stores.

           If in doubt consult with your CPA or check IRS regulations on their site at


Booksappraised HOME page.